Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I want a little chocolate to celebrate!
Vegan Chocolate Spelt Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
for the dry bowl:
- 1 c light spelt flour
- ¼ c dark cocoa powdered
- ¼ t baking soda
- scant ⅛ t (more like a pinch) of sea salt
for the wet bowl:
- ⅓ cup liquid sweetener (I used agave but maple syrup would work well also)
- ½ t pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup neutral oil (I used coconut oil)
- ¼ cup black coffee (you can sub. nut milk or water)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ t rice wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin tin with six liners.
- Whisk together dry.
- Whisk together wet.
- Combine wet and dry and whisk just until smooth and shiny.
- Divide into six cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350.
- It was suggested to top these with something like chocolate hazelnut butter or cinnamon coconut mllk whipped cream or cream cheese frosting and sprinkles (I didn't add anything and they were still delicious!)
Lately I've been dealing with a vicious sweet tooth (thanks baby-to-be)! In not wanting to cave in to store-bought nasties that are full of cheap sugars and preservatives I resolved to make my own treats and thus you have this recipe adaptation. I was pleasantly surprised at how moist and cakelike these turned out despite the lack of traditional cake ingredients. It's well worth whipping up a batch of these simple cakes that use spelt flour (I find lends a slightly nuttier taste) rather than the usual boring white flour.
So, get your apron on and throw together a batch of these yummies! You may want to double it thought, these will go fast!